In 1847 Job Hobbs, his wife Esther and their children migrated from England to South Australia. In 1855 Job took up several land grants in the Tungkillo district which formed the base of the Hobbs family’s Bottlesford property. The homestead and surrounding stone sheds were built in the 1850’s.
The property was named after the hamlet of Bottlesford in Wiltshire, England where the family lived before moving to Australia.
Today the property is run by Gerald and Jeannette Koopman (nee Hobbs) and son Darren, members of the fifth and sixth generation of the family.
The property is run as a mixed grazing enterprise with a self replacing cattle herd, together with merino and prime lamb sheep flocks.
Murray Grey cattle were first introduced to the property 28 years ago. Cattle have been introduced from a number of South Australian Stud herds, with the majority of cattle being sourced from the Willalooka Murray Grey Stud. More recently cattle have also been introduced from the Monterey and Woodbourn Murray Grey Studs.
Since breeding Murray Grey cattle the herd has focused on commercial production traits, and has enjoyed considerable success showing steers through carcass competitions. In 2009 the herd made its show ring debut at the Royal Adelaide show, again with a very satisfying result.